Sunday, September 19, 2010

Did someone say apples?

No, the lady from that fairy tale didn’t give me a few apples to put me to sleep (or poison me???). But the lady at the fruit shop did shoot me a peculiar glance as I purchased these monsters, wondering how my small hands could hold these fruits if my basket was struggling.


Fact: I love apples. Thanks to my dearly beloved mother’s mother, Rosemary, who almost collapsed onto the kitchen floor when she saw my present for her the other evening. No it wasn’t a dead cockroach. It was a Pink Lady. Moreover, this explains the erratic behaviour that also occurred one morning when we ventured out to Flemington markets. 

I swear these things are growing in our gene pools. Or maybe just hers and mine and it skipped a generation because mother dearest hates chokos.
Fact: When I googled “apple”, I was a little befuddled as to why my daily fruit obsession “designs and creates iPod and iTunes, Mac laptop and desktop computers, the OS X operating system and the revolutionary iPhone and iPad”. Well I never knew the power of the Fuji…

Fact: Cloudy apple juice is better for you than clear as it contains four times the amount of polyphenols in it: the good stuff that contains anti-cancer fighting things. You can also find these poly-friends in red wine and chocolate. Two other things that may see me one day almost collapse onto the kitchen floor, as said Rosemary nearly did.


Fact: Don’t peel the skin. Firstly- it contains more antioxidants and fibre than the flesh itself, which by the way is 25% air, hence why they float. Secondly- just be lazy and eat the god damn thing already, would you?

Fact: They are part of the rose family.
Fact: Apples can be canned or juiced.
Or put to death by way of suffocation from high heat, pastry, custard and cream. 

Fact: Apples have mothers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment