Tuesday, August 17, 2010

coffee, anyone?

I can now safely say that I appreciate coffee fanatics a bit more. I don’t understand it entirely. However, I respect that they have a passion for something and that something can taste amazing. It can be so different, so versatile. It is a lifestyle. To “catch up for coffee” is such a social event, even for those who don’t drink coffee habitually. Such as myself- at three in the afternoon, I would prefer a cup of tea, yet I would still pose the invitation of, “shall we meet for coffee?”


Anyhoo, I will quit my prattle and continue with the story. 
Nao’s appreciation of coffee and enthusiasm for a café latte in Australia, brought about more admiration for the simple cup of coffee for me. My long blacks are now interchangeable between flat whites and no more chain addictions: this stuff has to be real- sourced, roasted, ground to perfection- and deserving of every sip. The pleasure: to be on both sides of the café’s counter.

I’ve been to Campos before- albeit majority of the time I’m ordering a soy latte on behalf of my sister down the road at work: her alarm clock repeatedly fails to work every Thursday and conveniently I am in the area around the time a latte calls out to me by the name of soy, campos and let’s-wait-15-minutes-while-these-madmen-baristas-whip-up-forty-four-before-mine. Then I shall hurry it on down to her and return to another café for my own beverage.
 This time, I ordered one for myself. “To have here, thank you.” 

Quite unusual to say the least, not to mention the enjoyment of such an occasion. Not only did I have a barista in training at my table, but the good company and smooth coffee went down a treat and I delightfully exited the building that morning, on my way to a commonly dreaded appointment.
Campos Coffee: 193 Missenden Road, Newtown. Nice work kids!
And of course, Ken's sweet tooth was on its best behaviour...


Again, two days later, I was introduced by Nao to a café in mid-city-craziness, by the name of “Workshop”. I’ve often been intrigued by its abundance of customers, however put it down to the fact that it is situated on George Street and at that, a highly frequented pedestrian area.
Needless to say, these patiently waiting businessmen, retail staff, and local city bumpkins alike, are onto it. This is good coffee. And I’m only an amateur at this thing. Just the aroma had me on the corner of Park and George. Can I say that about coffee? Who cares. I am. It was scrumptious. So drinkable, so satisfying, and yep. This is the place I shall return to first.
Workshop. Hit it. 500 George St.




Thanks Nao! And Ken, for amusement, insight, and good friendship, above all...

No comments:

Post a Comment